Friday, November 17, 2006

Everyone Should Have a Friend Like Jane

I have known Jane for 32 years. She is one of those people you know that if you had to live your life over again, you simply wouldn't do it without Jane. Jane is one of those friends who will tell you when you have a piece of spinach stuck between your teeth. Back many years ago when we were both single, she and I were going out on a Saturday night. When I walked into her house wearing what I thought was a really cute jumpsuit (what can I say -- it was the '80's), she pulled me into her bedroom, and she told me to take off my belt. She went into her closet and pulled out several belts and had me keep trying on different belts before I finally put on one that she deemed acceptable. I was now ready to be seen in public.

When I had to have cortisone shots in my spine, Jane was the one who drove me to the hospital. We both knew someone who worked at the hospital. When they rolled my bed back into the hall, Jane was standing there with our friend ready to give me moral support. When I had surgery and wasn't supposed to drive for several weeks after, Jane was the one who drove me to the doctor.

Jane is probably the most creative person I've ever known. She can do anything with a hot glue gun. She entered a gift wrap contest that our local newspaper sponsored. Her package with the stretch velvet and silk flowers was a prize-winner! So, we had lunch at Neiman's yesterday, and we had to take a few moments to talk with the guys putting up the holiday decorations. We will share what we learned in a future post. We took a picture of a store window where they used bubble-wrap to represent snow. Strange, but it actually worked.

I will share more about Jane and our best gal pals later. Gotta grab another glass of wine.